About Lowell Community Health Center

Lowell Community Health Center (Lowell CHC) has served the community of Greater Lowell since 1970. Our mission is to provide caring, quality and culturally competent health services to the people of Greater Lowell, regardless of financial status; to reduce health disparities and enhance the health of the Greater Lowell community; and to empower each individual to maximize overall wellbeing. No patient is denied services because of inability to pay.

We serve nearly 50,000 people each year. More than 90% of Lowell CHC patients are low income, and 45% are best served in a language other than English. We offer a full range of primary care, including adult, family, and pediatric medicine, as well as obstetrical-gynecological medicine, behavioral health services. Also provided are HIV services, Teen BLOCK youth programming focusing on community engagement, healthy choices, and violence reduction; health screening and education; and a pharmacy open to health center patients and members of the community. We operate two full-service, school-based clinics, at Lowell High School and Stoklosa Middle School. Our Metta Health Center, founded in 2000, offers a unique combination of Western and Eastern medicine including acupuncture, meditation, and massage, with a focus on caring for the immigrant community. Services for refugees who are victims of torture are funded by the United Nations. Metta serves as the region’s Refugee Health Assessment Center.

Lowell CHC derives only 72% of its income from fees and health insurance reimbursement. The remaining 28% is covered by grants and generous donations including contributions to our WrapAround fund, which pays for services not covered by insurance such as medical interpretation (in 28 languages); positive youth development programs; community health screenings and education; and linking patients to food, shelter, jobs; and community supports.

Lowell Community Health Center -

Lowell Community Health Center Logo



161 Jackson Street
Lowell, MA 01852


  • Clare Gunther

    Director of Development & Communications